English as a Second Language (ESL)
Application deadline for May 2019 is April 8th.
Take your ESL studies to the next level with the NAIT English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Enhance your writing and grammar, build confidence in speaking and pronunciation, and develop your academic reading and vocabulary skills. You will learn these skills in a practical, hands-on environment, including Canadian classroom culture.
About the Program
NAIT offers 6 levels of ESL. Levels 1, 2, and 3 are foundation-building courses for high-beginner to intermediate learners. Levels 4, 5, and 6 build academic English skills of intermediate to advanced learners. The program includes courses in Writing & Grammar, Listening & Speaking, and Reading & Vocabulary. Each course is taught by a different instructor. This allows you to experience different teaching styles, an asset for the post-secondary Canadian classroom or the workplace. Full-time and part-time options are available during the day.
What To Expect
A Placement Test will tell your starting level.
Each term is 15 weeks long. The full-time program includes 4 hours of classroom instruction per day, Monday to Friday.
Choose a morning or afternoon schedule.
- Spring 2019: May 6 to August 15, 2019 (Application and Registration Deadline Monday April 8, 2019)
- Fall 2019: September 3 to December 13, 2019 (Application and Registration Deadline Monday August 5, 2019)
- Winter 2020: January 3 to April 24, 2020 (Application and Registration Deadline Monday December 2, 2019)
- Spring 2020 : May 11 to August 21, 2020 ( Application and Registration Deadline Monday April 6, 2020)
- Morning 8:00 AM to 11:50 AM
- Afternoon 12:00 PM to 3:50 PM
Where It Can Take You
Students who pass Level 6 meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirement for entrance into most NAIT certificate, diploma, or degree programs.