Power Engineering (Part-Time & Distance)
Industrial development continues to result in the expansion of work responsibilities for Power Engineers. Provincial Legislation requires the certification of employees before they assume responsibilities in heating and power plants.
In Alberta, Power Engineers are certified by the Alberta Boilers Safety Association (ABSA). There are five levels of certification, advancing from Fifth Class to First Class. NAIT's Power Engineering courses prepare students to challenge the provincial certification exam for Fifth Class through to Third Class. Students should contact ABSA for the latest information about Power Engineering certification requirements. Students planning to work outside Alberta should contact the provincial/territorial certification organization in their area.
NAIT's Part-Time, and Online Power Engineering courses are offered from the 5th to the 3rd class level, and are designed to help prepare students to write the ABSA Administered Provincial Examinations.
News & Announcements
The most recent reorganization of the Power Engineer Syllabus by Standardization of Power Engineers Examination Committee (SOPEEC) and approved by the Association of Chief Inspectors (ACI) is to be used across Canada and is effective November 1, 2017.
New students to Power Engineering
- Effective November 1, 2017, students registering into the Power Engineering Fourth Class Part A CML (POWC402) course for the first time will be required to purchase PanGlobal texts version 3.0
- Effective February 1, 2018, students registering into the Power Engineering Fourth Class Part B CML (POWC403) course for the first time will be required to purchase PanGlobal texts version 3.0
Current students in Power Engineering
- Fourth Class Part A CML (POWC402) and Fourth Class Part B CML (POWC403) courses compatible with PanGlobal version 2.5 texts will be available for registration at NAIT until August 1, 2018
- You must continue in version 2.5 if you began either Fourth Class Part A or Fourth Class Part B in version 2.5
- Effective November 1, 2017, students looking to register into Fourth Class Part A CML (POWC402) version 2.5 must email ced_ast@naitca to register
- Fourth Class Part B CML (POWC403) version 2.5 online registrations will remain open until January 2018
If you have any questions about which Fourth Class Part A or Part B course version is right for you, please email email@example.com.