Advising & Career Development
Starting Monday, April 2, the Student Service Centre will modify our operational hours as follow:
Contact Centre (phone and live chat services): Monday to Thursday: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm; Friday: 8:30 am to 4 pm
In-person Services (Main Floor, Centre for Applied Technology): Monday to Thursday: 8:30 am to 5 pm; Friday: 8:30 am to 4 pm
Academic and Career Advising, delivered within the Student Service Centre, provides generalized advising for students, prospective students and alumni. We are here to help you evaluate and realize the educational and career options that are available to you through NAIT. We also provide referrals to other NAIT service and program areas as well as guidance on how to access community resources. Contact us at askNAIT@nait.ca to find out how we can help you!
What is advising at NAIT?
Advising at NAIT helps to prepare students for success in meaningful careers. We approach advising from a developmental perspective that considers and respects your background, interests and abilities. We facilitate the identification and achievement of your educational, career and life goals by helping you understand and apply strategies for academic and career success.
A key principle of academic advising is that you are responsible for your own decisions – we are here to provide information and guidance so you can better navigate the post-secondary system and make appropriate choices.
Academic and Career Advising
Come visit us in the Student Service Centre (CAT180), where we can answer your questions about NAIT and your personal education and career plan, including
- what your career goals are
- what your interests and values are
- education and career decision-making strategies
- determining your program fit based on your personal and career preferences
- how to apply to a program or self-enroll in courses
- exploring NAIT programs and available pathways
- your funding options and how to access budgeting resources
- how best to navigate academic difficulties
If you are a current student or NAIT alumni who is looking for a job or preparing for a program practicum/co-op, we can help you with
- job search strategies
- resume and cover letter feedback
- interview preparation, practice, strategies and feedback
- Health program interview workshops for applicants and prospective students who are planning to apply, and would like to better understand the interview process. If you are unable to attend an in-person session before your interview, feel free to review our recorded session (below) with a friend!
- a job posting sample showing the qualifications and attributes for the type of job you are seeking
- drafts of your resume and cover letter that have been targeted to that job
These sessions provide detailed information about specific programs and in-depth career advising, but also require more pre-planning on your part.
If you are seeking feedback on a resume/cover letter or practice in an interview, please bring the following to our office in CAT180 prior to your scheduled appointment
We will review your documents and contact you within 5 days to set-up an appointment so that we can maximize our in-session time. Mock interviews and resume reviews are booked for one hour as a scheduled appointment.
Personal counselling for current students is available through the Counselling Centre.
Job postings are available for current students and alumni.
For both same-day and pre-booked sessions, please be sure to bring
• your relevant educational documents, such as transcripts, certificates, mid-term grades, etc.
• a list of questions for your advisor
• a pen and notepad
• any career or program research that you've already compiled
Please remember to come prepared as our sessions are generally limited to a maximum of 30 minutes. We offer primarily same-day appointments that are first come, first served, but are not guaranteed. If you are driving long-distances, we strongly encourage you to schedule a pre-booked appointment. Same-day availability with an Academic Advisor varies on a daily basis.
Student Service Specialists are your first point of contact in the Student Service Centre. They can answer most questions regarding the application process, as well as provide general information about programs, courses, and funding. They can also better prepare you for your advising session, so don’t be afraid to ask them questions!
Academic Advisors provide academic, career, funding and International advising that is guided through exploratory activities and open-ended questions. This can include independent research to help you make an informed decision. They help prospective and current students establish their educational goals and navigate the academic opportunities available to them at NAIT. They will refer you to more specialized (eg. program-specific) advisors as needed.
Follow-up sessions will be determined at the discretion of your Academic Advisor.
Note: Mock interviews and resume reviews cannot be done during a same-day appointment. These must be pre-scheduled and are booked for 1 hour.
Please remember to come prepared and on time. These appointments may vary in length. We offer a limited amount of pre-booked appointments and are often fully booked several weeks in advance.