Apprenticeship Process FAQs
- I don’t have an employer, but I want to get into the trades. Where do I start?
- How do I sign up to become an indentured apprentice?
- What is a Red Seal trade?
- How do I get my Blue Seal?
- When and how can I apply for my Employment Insurance (EI)?
- How do I schedule a Challenge Exam?
- What government agency can I contact for more information about apprenticeship (questions about my bluebook, indenture, etc.)?
Contact your nearest Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) office.
In Canada, each province or territory is responsible for apprenticeship training and certification of skilled workers at a journeyperson level. The Interprovincial Red Seal Program was developed to provide journeypersons with the ability to work anywhere in Canada.
The program ensures that journeypersons are qualified through interprovincial examinations that are based on national standards.
To obtain the Blue Seal you must complete the Blue Seal Certification. For more information call 780.471.6248 .
You can apply on-line for your Employment Insurance up to 7 days prior to your scheduled last day of work.
You do not need your Record of Employment (ROE) to apply for EI. Get your application started as soon as possible. You can send your ROE to Service Canada when you receive it from your employer.
You will need a reference code to apply for your EI. You must be a registered apprentice to get this reference number. The EI reference code can be found on your notice of Confirmation of Enrolment eLetter, available on your My NAIT Portal account.
6. How do I schedule a Challenge Exam?
All challenge exams are set up with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training. Contact your nearest AIT office to arrange an exam.
7. What government agency can I contact for more information about apprenticeship (questions about my bluebook, indenture, etc.)?
Seventh Street Plaza, South Tower, Floor 7
10030 – 107 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4X7
A representative from Apprenticeship and Industry Training is available on campus at the following times:
- Main Campus, Wednesdays from 1:30–3:30 p.m., Room O115 (Registrar’s Office)
- Patricia Campus, Wednesdays from 11 a.m.–1 p.m., Conference Room P129
- Souch Campus, Wednesdays from 8–10:30 a.m., Room Z145 (Main office)