Apprenticeship Process FAQs
- I don’t have an employer, but I want to get into the trades. Where do I start?
- How do I sign up to become an indentured apprentice?
- What is a Red Seal trade?
- How do I get my Blue Seal?
- When and how can I apply for my Employment Insurance (EI)?
- How do I schedule a Challenge Exam?
- What government agency can I contact for more information about apprenticeship (questions about my bluebook, indenture, etc.)?
In Canada, each province or territory is responsible for apprenticeship training and certification of skilled workers at a journeyperson level. The Interprovincial Red Seal Program was developed to provide journeypersons with the ability to work anywhere in Canada.
The program ensures that journeypersons are qualified through interprovincial examinations that are based on national standards.
To obtain the Blue Seal you must complete the Blue Seal Certification. For more information call 780.471.6248.
You can apply online for your Employment Insurance up to 7 days prior to your scheduled last day of work.
You do not need your Record of Employment (ROE) to apply for EI. Get your application started as soon as possible. You can send your ROE to Service Canada when you receive it from your employer.
Apprentices can call 1.800.206.7218 (in Alberta) or visit the Service Canada website for the following resources:
6. How do I schedule a Challenge Exam?
All challenge exams are set up with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training. Contact your nearest AIT office to arrange an exam.
7. What government agency can I contact for more information about apprenticeship (questions about my bluebook, indenture, etc.)?
- Apprenticeship and Industry Training
Seventh Street Plaza, South Tower, Floor 7
10030 107 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4X7
Phone (Toll-free): 1.800.248.4823
A representative from Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) is available on NAIT campuses at the following times and locations.
- Main Campus, Wednesdays from 1:30–3:30 p.m., Student Service Centre CAT180
- Patricia Campus, Wednesdays from 11 a.m.–1 p.m., Conference Room P129
- Souch Campus, Wednesdays from 8–10:30 a.m., Room Z153H