Apprenticeship Process FAQs
- I don’t have an employer, but I want to get into the trades. Where do I start?
- How do I sign up to become an indentured apprentice?
- What is a Red Seal trade?
- How do I get my Blue Seal?
- When and how can I apply for my Employment Insurance (EI)?
- How do I schedule a Challenge Exam?
- What government agency can I contact for more information about apprenticeship (questions about my bluebook, indenture, etc.)?
In Canada, each province or territory is responsible for apprenticeship training and certification of skilled workers at a journeyperson level. The Interprovincial Red Seal Program was developed to provide journeypersons with the ability to work anywhere in Canada.
The program ensures that journeypersons are qualified through interprovincial examinations that are based on national standards.
To obtain the Blue Seal you must complete the Blue Seal Certification. For more information call 780.471.6248.
You can apply online for your Employment Insurance up to 7 days prior to your scheduled last day of work.
You do not need your Record of Employment (ROE) to apply for EI. Get your application started as soon as possible. You can send your ROE to Service Canada when you receive it from your employer.
Apprentices can call 1.800.206.7218 (in Alberta) or visit the Service Canada website for the following resources:
6. How do I schedule a Challenge Exam?
All challenge exams are set up with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training. Contact your nearest AIT office to arrange an exam.
7. What government agency can I contact for more information about apprenticeship (questions about my bluebook, indenture, etc.)?
- Apprenticeship and Industry Training
NAIT Centre for Applied Technology (CAT) Building
Suite 430, 11763-106 St.
Edmonton, Alberta T5G 2R1
Phone (Toll-free): 1.800.248.4823
A representative from Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) is available on NAIT campuses at the following times and locations. (Please note: these are new times for the 2018/19 year.)
|Souch Campus||Tuesday||11 a.m. - 1 p.m.||Z153H|
|Patricia Campus||Wednesday||11 a.m. - 1 p.m.||P129|
|Main Campus||Weekdays||8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.||CAT430|