Choosing where and what to study to get the career you want can be a daunting task. Start here for straightforward advice and helpful steps.
Step 1 – Explore Your Options
NAIT offers degrees, applied degrees, diplomas and certificates in more than 200 programs. Our broad range of training options provides flexibility. Get into the workforce quickly by studying in a one-year certificate or two-year diploma program, or use those programs as building blocks towards a degree or other further education.
- For a full listing of all our programs and courses to help you explore what NAIT has to offer, visit Programs and Courses.
- Many students choose the flexibility of part-time learning to meet their educational goals. A wide range of career-enhancing certificates, diplomas, and professional development programs can be earned on a part-time basis.
- NAIT is Canada's leading apprenticeship trainer. More than half of all apprentices in Alberta, and 17% in all of Canada, are trained here. We offer apprenticeship training in 34 trades on campuses throughout Alberta.
When investigating different program options, make note of the following:
Step 2 – Research Your Field
Before you start your education, it is important to research your chosen career field. In addition to helping you decide if it is the right field for you, it will also help you write a Career Investigation report, which is required for some programs. In addition to the program options above, some of the questions you should consider before you apply include:
- What is the job placement rate?
- What are the entry-level and future salaries?
- What is it like to work in the industry?
- What jobs are available and what do they entail?
- What is the future for the industry?
- What skills are required to be successful in the industry and the job?
For answers to these questions and more, visit:
Step 3 – Plan Ahead
Making a plan and sticking with it is one of the most important steps in career planning. It is key to plan ahead so that when you choose your program and apply, you have given yourself the best opportunity to be accepted.
- When you explored your options in Step 1 above, you looked at entrance requirements for each program. If you do not meet the specified entrance requirements, NAIT offers upgrading programs and courses. Many programs will still consider you for admission while you are in the upgrading process. In our Programs & Courses Search, choose Academic Upgrading in the left navigation for a list of upgrading options.
- Many NAIT programs are very competitive and fill quickly each year. Make a note of application dates and deadlines so you don't miss important dates. Apply early to avoid disappointment.
Step 4 – Get to Know NAIT
There is a wealth of information about NAIT, our programs, our students and grads, campus life, and so much more in this website. Use the navigation at the top of this page to fully explore the NAIT experience.
- It's always a good idea to visit NAIT and learn more about your program of interest, the services we offer, and student life. Visit Get to Know NAIT – read NAIT blogs, see upcoming events, and find out more about programs and services.
- And don't forget – we are here to help you. If you have general questions or need specific advice, Get in Touch.
Step 5 – Apply Now
It’s the last step in getting started with your NAIT education and on your way to a rewarding career.
- Apply now - if you have chosen a program and are ready to apply.