Alberta Health Services regulations require all establishments that serve food to the public to have someone trained in food safety and sanitation on staff. Our Food Safety program will help you gain a competitive edge in the food services industry by combining your culinary and restaurant skills with certification in food preparation and workplace safety.
Whether you work in a commercial kitchen, production plant or restaurant, you will be able to apply the tools gained in this course to keep your work area clean, sanitized and safe for others. Our food safety courses will prepare you for government-regulated certification and will often satisfy employer requirements.
By the end of the program, you will have what you need to write the food safety provincial examination. If you are able to achieve 70% or greater on this exam, you will receive a Wallet Card Certification that is recognized by the Alberta Health - Health Protection Branch. Test results records are considered personal information and will be managed in adherence to FOIP standards.
To participate in CULG901 Food Safety, the following is required:
- An adequate level of English language proficiency (proof of English proficiency is not required upon registration. However, if English is not your first language and you have questions prior to registration, please contact our office)
- Practical experience with computers
- Access to a computer
- Reliable Internet connection with compatible browser – Google Chrome is recommended
- Printer (not required but highly recommended)
This course is delivered online with the exception of a paper-based, closed-book, supervised exam that you will need to write at the end of the course to receive your Wallet Card Certification from NAIT. Students from outside the Edmonton area may take this exam under the supervision of an approved invigilator. Examples of exam supervisors are as follows:
- Post-secondary or adult education testing centre personnel
- High school principal or teacher
- Exam supervisor at an adult education centre
- Public librarian
It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for exam supervision. NAIT does not make any remuneration to the exam supervisor. The exam will be sent to the exam supervisor approximately one week before the exam date.