The Distributed Energy Management Initiative Project Seed Funding
The Distributed Energy Management Initiative (DEMI) is a collaboration between NAIT, the University of Alberta, ATCO, Siemens Canada, and Alberta Economic Development, Trade and Tourism. The DEMI partners have launched the Project Seed Funding (PSF) program to de-risk and encourage Alberta small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to pursue grid innovation and distributed energy management technology projects, assisted by NAIT’s Centre for Grid Innovation. These types of innovations have applications in many sectors including, but not limited to, electricity/power, energy, alternative energy, and electronics.
NAIT’s Centre for Grid Innovation, through the PSF, is currently seeking proposals from Alberta SMEs that, in addition to meeting general project scope requirements, must also meet the following criteria:
- be incorporated in Alberta with at least two years of corporate filings on record
- have at least one full time employee on staff
- have a business plan to commercialize the proposed innovation
- demonstrate at the start of the project the ability to make a cash contribution to the project equal to or greater than 25% of the proposed project budget
- where the applicant’s 50% cost contribution to the project is not all cash, demonstrate the ability to make a meaningful in-kind contribution of up to 25% of the proposed budget
The initiative aims to provide seed funding to 18 collaborative research projects with Alberta-based SMEs, with a contribution of $25,000 for each project.
Download the Project Seed Funding eligibility requirements (pdf)
Download the Project Seed Funding application form (doc)