External FOIP Contacts
Provincial Information and Privacy Commissioner
#410, 9925 - 109 Street
Edmonton AB T5K 2J8
Phone: (780) 422-6860
Alberta's Information and Privacy Commissioner, Bob Clark, is an officer of the Legislative Assembly. As such, he is independent of the government. As Information and Privacy Commissioner, Mr. Clark has a broad range of responsibilities and powers, including the integrity of the FOIP Act.
His duties include:
- Informing Albertans about the Act
- Reviewing the freedom of information decisions of public bodies.
- Investigating how public bodies collect, use and disclose personal information to make sure that an individual's privacy is being protected.
- Conducting investigations of public bodies to ensure compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Hearing comments from the public about how the Act is being administered.
- Researching anything affecting the achievement of the Act's purposes.
- Commenting on the Privacy and Information implications of proposed legislation and programs.
- Informing the head of a public body when applicants have not been adequately served.
- Giving advice and recommendations about the Act to head of public bodies.
- Authorizing the collections of personal information from sources other than the individual the information is about.