Published on May 24, 2019
The recipients of NAIT’s 2019 alumni awards include include a wide range of fields - IT, fitness training, social media, marketing, and industrial ventilation.
EDMONTON – The recipients of NAIT’s 2019 alumni awards include successful entrepreneurs in a wide range of fields – IT, fitness training, social media, marketing and industrial ventilation. Aside from their business skills, they all share a commitment to the community, to their industries, and to NAIT.
Hubert Lau(Computer Systems Technology ’91), president of TrustBIX Inc., received the Alumni Award of Distinction, given to alumni who have earned prominence in their profession and contributed to NAIT or the community.Ken Jurina(Marketing ’95), president and CO of Top Draw and Sean Rayner(Marketing ’01), president and CEO of VETS Group, each received the Alumni Award of Excellence, presented in recognition of the contributions made by NAIT alumni to their profession or community.
Linda Hoang(Television ’11), a social media strategist and consultant, and Justin Cross(Personal Fitness ’12) each received the Spirit of NAIT Alumni Award, recognizing the outstanding achievements of alumni early in their careers.
The awards were presented at a reception last night.
- Hubert Lau(Computer Systems Technology ’91), is president of TrustBIX Inc., a company that helps improve food safety, traceability and sustainability by tracking data for Canada’s cattle industry. He has run several successful technology companies since graduating from NAIT and has received many awards, including the Alberta Chambers of Commerce 2019 Alberta Leading Edge Award and the 2017 Alberta Small Business Award of Distinction. He has served on various NAIT committees and supports several local charities.
- Ken Jurina(Marketing ’95) is president and CEO of Top Draw, a digital marketing agency that he founded in 1993. He recently started Haste Post-haste, Top Draw’s branding division, and Truuve Agency, a marketing arm for the automotive industry. Jurina is an avid supporter of NAIT and has shared his expertise at alumni learning events.
- Sean Rayner(Marketing ’01) is president and CEO of VETS Group, a sheet metal business started by his great-grandfather in 1921. He has grown it into a company that provides industrial ventilation and HVAC services in Alberta and B.C. He has provided free services and maintenance for a number of local charities and was a member of the campaign cabinet forEssential: The NAIT Campaign.
- Justin Cross(Personal Fitness Trainer ’12), ownsCross Conditioning Ltd., a company he started while still in school. He specializes in customized training programs, including one for high school athletes. His community works includes free fitness testing and seminars for high school football teams in Strathcona County. He also regularly speaks to students in the Personal Fitness Trainer program.
- Linda Hoang(Radio and Television Arts ’11), is a social media strategist and consultant who has become one of Edmonton’s most recognizable bloggers and influencers. She has raised more than $80,000 for local shelters and rescue groups through the Edmonton International Cat Festival, which she founded in 2014. She volunteers on NAIT’s Radio and Television program advisory committee.
- The Alumni Award of Distinction has been awarded annually since 1997 and is NAIT’s most prestigious award for alumni. Recipients are recognized for their outstanding professional accomplishments.
- The Alumni Award of Excellence is being handed out for the third time this year to recognize the significant contributions made in recent years by NAIT alumni to their profession or community.
- The Spirit of NAIT Alumni Award was first awarded in 2005. It is awarded to alumni who have made exceptional advances or achievements in their career within 12 years of graduation.
Dr. Glenn Feltham, NAIT president and CEO
“NAIT’s alumni are making a tremendous contribution to our province – they truly are essential. They are making our communities better and are giving back in so many ways. I am so proud of our alumni and the impact they are having.”
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) is a leading Canadian polytechnic, delivering education in science, technology and the environment; business; health and skilled trades. With nearly 40,000 credit and non-credit students and a 95 per cent employer satisfaction rate, NAIT grads are essential to the provincial economy. NAIT also contributes to Alberta’s prosperity by helping business and industry become more competitive with Industry Solutions offered through its Productivity and Innovation Centre, including technology adoption, business and product innovation and industry-driven research. Recognized as one of Alberta’s top employers, NAIT provides outstanding returns on investment for its graduates, partners, the provincial government and the people of Alberta.