What to Bring

As you're getting ready for this exciting journey, there are a few important pieces of information to have ready before you leave for Alberta. 

Required documents

Make sure you have packed the following extremely important documents in your carry-on luggage. You will be required to present the following documents to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) when entering Canada. 

  • Valid passport (or proof of citizenship for U.S. citizens)
  • Valid Canadian temporary resident visa (TRV), or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if applicable
  • Letter of introduction issued by the Canadian visa office that approved the study permit application; this letter needs to be submitted to a Canadian immigration officer when you arrive at the port of entry to obtain a study permit
  • Letter of acceptance
  • Proof of funds available for your stay in Canada. Similar to what you have used for your study permit/ visa application
  • Any other documents recommended by your Canadian visa office

Optional documents

While the following documents are not required to travel to Canada, be sure to bring them if they apply to you.

  • Medical and immunization (vaccination) records, translated if possible
  • Medical insurance policy (if applicable)
  • Driver’s license or international driver’s license, driving insurance records, and vehicle registration and insurance paper, if you plan to drive in Canada
  • a list of important phone numbers
  • Marriage certificate and/or proof of common-law status (if applicable)


If you are arriving in fall or winter, it is important to remember Alberta's climate. You might want to consider bringing the following items.

  • Sweater
  • Hat (in Canada, we call it a tuque)
  • Warm coat
  • Warm boots
  • Scarf
  • Mittens or insulated gloves
If you haven't watched our pre-arrival webinars, make sure you check them out for helping hints!