The Canadian government has made changes to the requirements for any person travelling by air into Canada. International students are required to adhere to these requirements. In addition to the mandatory 14-day quarantine requirement, travelers will also be required to:
- take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours of departure from their home country
- take a COVID-19 molecular test upon arrival in Canada
- Pre-book their stay in a government-approved hotel for 3 nights while they wait the results of the COVID-19 molecular test they received on arrival
- pay for their hotel, as well as all associated costs for food, cleaning and security. Estimated costs are around $2,000 per traveler.
There are currently only 4 airports receiving international flights:
- Vancouver International Airport
- Calgary International Airport
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Montreal-Trudeau International Airport
You will need to book your flight to one of the above airports and your mandatory hotel stay will be in the city you land in. You must stay at a government-approved hotel in the city you land in, this will not be in Edmonton. You can find out more information about the mandatory hotel stay here.
How to book a designated hotel
Travelers will be required to pre-book their hotel stay, by phone, at:
- 1-800-294-8253 from within North America, or
- 1-613-830-2992 (collect) from outside of North America.
Please be prepared to wait on hold. You can find the list of the designated hotels here.
What to expect at the hotel
During your mandatory stay at the hotel, you can expect that everything you need will be provided for you directly in your hotel room. You will not be permitted to leave your hotel room for any reason. All your food will be delivered directly outside your hotel room door. All hotels will have Wi-Fi that you can connect virtually with your family and friends during your stay. There will be no activities provided to you by the hotel, so it is recommended you come prepared with activities to keep yourself occupied (laptop, book, etc.) You can read more about what to expect during your stay here.
Mandatory check-ins with NAIT
You will be required to check-in daily with NAIT during your 14-day quarantine period, even during your 3-day mandatory hotel stay. If you have completed the 14 Day Quarantine Questionnaire, you will receive an email with the Check-In information and invite. You will need to start your daily check-ins the day after you arrive. More information on the daily check in will be sent to you closer to your date of arrival into Canada.
Checking out of the hotel
If after 3 days your COVID-19 results are
- You can then continue to travel to Edmonton and finish the rest of your quarantine in an appropriate location
- To book a flight to Edmonton, please explore two of Canada’s most popular airlines, Air Canada and Westjet.
- You will be required to take another COVID-19 test near the end of your 14 days
- You will be relocated to a health facility to continue your quarantine under the supervision of health professionals.
Please continue to monitor travel updates through IRCC here. If you have further questions about this update or the travelling to Canada, please email email@example.com.