Enter the workforce with confidence
As a member of a health-care team, an ultrasound technologist (sonographer) uses a variety of hand-held scanning probes and imaging techniques in order to differentiate between technical artifacts and questionable clinical appearances from pathology.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography is highly operator-dependent and requires a logical self-directed approach to scanning, on-the-spot critical thinking and good judgment.
For more information about career options, duties, working conditions and salaries, visit Alberta Occupational Profiles - Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Please refer to the Sonography Canada website to learn more about requirements for licensing/mandatory registration and declaration of conduct, which may include disclosure of information related to criminal convictions and professional misconduct or incompetence as well as any personal factors that could impact the ability to practice safely.
Post Graduation Affiliation
After successful completion of both the didactic and clinical components of the program, graduates are eligible to write the specific registration examinations set by Sonography Canada and/or the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) and become members of several professional diagnostic ultrasound associations.
Continuing your studies
Continuing Education is mandatory for this profession. Competence is maintained by taking a minimum number of continuing education credits every three years. Diagnostic Medical Sonography graduates are eligible for credit toward:
- Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management (BTech-TM), NAIT
- Bachelor of Science in Human Sciences, Athabasca University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences, Thompson Rivers
- Bachelor of Applied Management, University of New Brunswick
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact email@example.com
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org