Centre for Applied Technology
CAT - Photo Gallery
Check out the CAT time-lapse video
The new heart of NAIT
Open in August 2016, the Centre for Applied Technology (CAT) is the largest building on NAIT’s Main Campus. With approximately 5,000 full-time students studying in leading-edge labs and classrooms each day, it’s a building for everyone.
Programs in CAT
- Health and Life Sciences
- Sustainable Building and Environmental Management
- Applied Sciences and Technology
At 51,600 square metres (555,000 square feet), CAT is more than 25% the total size of all Main Campus buildings combined and is 60% larger than NAIT’s second largest building, the HP Centre for Information and Communications Technology. CAT has received gold certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) rating system. This is the first building on campus to achieve this milestone, due, in part, to the polytechnic’s broader, campus-wide commitment to environmental protection and sustainable buildings and operations.
What you’ll find in CAT
- 45 labs and advanced simulation environments
- thirty-five 32-seat classrooms
- twenty-two 64-seat classrooms
- a 135-seat lecture theatre
- over 1,065-square-metres (11,500-square-feet) of student seating and tutorial/meeting rooms
- 11 student lounges
- computer commons, including desktop computers and space to bring your own devices (BYOD)
- high-capacity wireless network – to access course materials, educational resources and services
- a new printing app designed for mobile printing across campus
- Student Service Centre – the one-stop shop for information and advising services
- universal washrooms and a reflection room to serve the diverse needs of the NAIT community
- an outdoor quad with a stage for events
Where can I eat?
There are plenty of food and dietary options available at CAT. These include
- Tim Hortons (full-service, including soups and sandwiches)
- The Corner Store (a convenience store)
- Mercante (a fast-casual sit-down restaurant featuring authentic Neapolitan pizza)
- One World, Many Flavours (featuring fresh burgers and international entrées)
Space to study
CAT is designed to provide a variety of study spaces for large groups, small groups or individuals.