How to Register or Cancel Your IELTS Exam
Registering for an IELTS exam is quick and easy.
- Visit the British Council IELTS online registration system.
- Find a test date by entering the date of your choice, the town/city in which you wish to complete your exam and the exam module (either General or Academic).
- Once you’ve found your preferred test date, click “Apply”.
- Read through the “IELTS Application: Terms and Conditions” and click “I have read and agree to the above Terms and Conditions” to continue.
- Enter your candidate details as required. Upload your photo and the scanned copies of your valid passport or Permanent Residence Card. Get more information on photo and/or identification documents in our FAQ.
Once you have registered on the IELTS online registration system, payment must be made within 48 hours through the NAIT exam registration system.
- Choose location "IELTS Edmonton"
- Choose "IELTS Test"
- Select the same date that you registered for on the IELTS Online Registration System
- Select the time of your exam
- Enter your first name, last name and email address
- Read the Exam Guideline Acknowledgement and click "agree"
- Enter the required IELTS Confirmation Number and your contact phone number
- Click "Add to cart" and complete payment
Cancellations and Transfers
Assessment cancellations and transfer requests must be submitted in writing at least 5 weeks before the test date and must include a completed Request for Refund or Test Date Transfer form (pdf). Please email the completed form to the IELTS Test Centre at email@example.com.
- Requests for a cancellation or transfer submitted more than 5 weeks before the test date will receive a refund, minus a $70.00 cancellation fee and a $25.00 administrative fee.
- Requests for a cancellation or transfer submitted less than 5 weeks prior to the test date will be treated as a cancellation and no refund will be issued.
Please note: Submitting this request form does not automatically guarantee that the request will be approved.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for the photo I provide?
It is your responsibility to ensure that your photo meets the IELTS requirements. Your photo must:
- Be in colour
- Be no more than 6 months old
- Be taken against a plain neutral-colour background so that features are clearly distinguishable
- Be undamaged
- Be in sharp focus and clear
- Be print-quality of professional standard
- Be a close-up of the head and shoulders
- Show the candidate looking straight at the camera
- Show the candidate with a neutral expression, not smiling or laughing
- Show the candidate with mouth closed
- Show the candidate with eyes open and clearly visible
- Show the candidate without glasses
- Not have any shadows
- Not have anything covering the face, the outlines of the eyes, nose, mouth or ears
- Adhere to our technical requirements (e.g. we can only accept .jpg photo files of 500 x 750 pixels and with a file size less than 1MB)
What does my scanned identity document need to include?
Your scanned identity document must:
- Include your ID number
- Include your signature
- Include your date of birth
- Include your photograph
- Include your ID expiry date
- Be scanned in colour
- Be in .jpg, .gif or .png file format
- Be smaller than 1600 x 1600 pixels
- Be in a file smaller than 1.5MB
What is the cost to write an IELTS exam?
The fee for exams is $310.00
How far in advance should candidates enrol for their exam?
Candidates should enrol as soon as they are able to secure a date that works for them. Registrations will remain open until 1 week prior to the exam date.
How long does it take to receive exam results?
Exam results are released 13 days after the exam date.
Is there a waiting period between IELTS exam attempts?
There is no waiting period. Students can attempt to pass an IELTS exam as many times and in as short a period of time as they like.
If someone takes a NAIT English Language Proficiency (ELP) test and doesn't pass, can they take an IELTS test within the ELP's 8-week retest period?
Yes. The tests have no ties or relation to one another.