What is Culinary Team NAIT?
Culinary Team NAIT is a group of NAIT Culinary Arts students and instructors that competes at the regional, national and international levels. Team NAIT also collaborates with Team Alberta and Team Canada.
Student members prepare for competition through extracurricular training. They learn to refine the skills they are taught in class and how to work in a team environment. Team members are also expected to participate in fundraising for trips. Fundraising activities include:
- researching new recipes for organizations
- setting up product demonstrations
- hosting gourmet dinners
Culinary Team NAIT has won many honours, most recently in April 2014, they brought home 4 silver and 4 bronze from the FHA Culinary Challenge in Singapore. Previously, in May 2013, they took home a record breaking 4 gold, 8 silver, and 8 bronze at the 2013 Hong Kong International Culinary Challenge. In October 2012 Culinary Team Nait received 2 gold and 2 silver medals at the Culinary Olympics in Erfurt, Germany . They also came home with 3 silvers, and 4 bronzes at Emirates Salon Culinaire in Dubai, which ran in February 2012. Other competitions Culinary Team NAIT has participated in have been very successful, starting with winning 4 silver and 6 bronze at HOFEX 2011 in Hong Kong. Every member of Team NAIT brought home a medal from both the Escoffier Society competition in Toronto in March 2010 and the FHA2010 Culinary Challenge in Singapore April 20 - 23, 2010.
- View photos from the Culinary Challenges
- Watch video from the 2008 Culinary Olympics
- Other Team NAIT accomplishments
To promote local, regional and international goodwill and camaraderie through friendly culinary competition, and to advance culinary and employability skills through training, teamwork and networking.
Benefits of membership
- outstanding professional culinary experiences
- opportunities to network and exchange ideas with culinary professionals around the world
- increased culinary knowledge through international competitions
- increased awareness of innovative culinary technology
Joining Team NAIT
Instructors select students for the team based on:
- ability to work in a team environment
The number of students chosen each year depends on the number of suitable candidates.