About the Program
The Digital Media and IT (DMIT) program is multidisciplinary in its approach and is structured to enable students to focus in up to two areas of specialization, including systems administration, applications development, business analysis, web design, graphic design, rich media design, video production, animation and game design. Students can build a pathway that is of interest to them and can create unique skill sets upon graduation making them highly versatile in the job market. The Digital Media and IT Diploma is offered full-time as a 2-year program, starting in the September semester.
- Semester 1 - consists of common core courses and electives to reflect the student's preference in IT or new media related disciplines.
- Semesters 2 & 3 - consist of all elective courses. Students can choose from a wide variety of courses based on the skills required for an area of employment.
- Semester 4 - students are required to take a project management course, and to complete a major capstone project, along with a selection of electives to complete their credit requirements for their diploma.
The DMIT program was profiled in Project President, where NAIT President Dr. Glenn Feltham helped students studying video and animation as they produced a music video for local band Chasing Jones.
Tuition & Fees (Cost per semester)
Cost Per Credit: $180
Tuition Cap: $1,940
Cost Per Credit: $423
Tuition Cap: $4,560
Health & Dental: $114
Rec. & Athletics: $70
Books, Supplies & Program Fees (est.)
Semester 1: $500
Semester 2: $500
Semester 3: $500
Semester 4: $500
Disclaimer: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. All fees are subject to change.
- Current requirements for Winter/Spring 2015
- English 20-1
- Math 30-2 or Math 20-1 or Pure Math 20 or Applied Math 30 or Math 33
- Competitive Entrance - 65% overall average
Effective Fall 2015 this program will be accepting the following:
- Grade 11 English and Pure Math 20 or Math 20-1 or Math 20-2 or Applied Math 20 OR
- Successful completion of any 9 credits of DMIT courses through NAIT Open Studies OR
- 5 credits of Advanced Level Computer Sciences (CSE) courses taken within the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) program OR
- 5 credits of Advanced Level Design Studies (DSE) courses taken within the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) program OR
- 5 credits of Advanced Level Communication Technology (COM) courses taken within the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) program
- Systems Administration 65%
- IT Business Analyst 65%
- Applications Development 65%
- Game Programming 75%
- Web & Rich Media 65%
- Visual Communications 65%
- Game Design 75%
- Video Production 65%
- Animation 65%
- English Language Proficiency - Applicants must meet the English language proficiency requirements.
An applicant can also potentially enter the DMIT program by successfully completing any 9 credits of DMIT courses (preferably first-semester courses) through NAIT Open Studies.
Applicants can apply to the DMIT program and self-enroll into nine credits of DMIT courses through NAIT Open Studies. Upon successful completion of these courses, the applicant will be considered for acceptance into the DMIT program, even if they lack the necessary academic entrance requirements. The applicant's acceptance will depend on available openings in the DMIT program and competitive standing with other applicants (any or all of these factors will be considered: academic performance/career investigation/previous training, education, work experience).
Please note that the applicant must still meet the English language proficiency requirement.
An applicant interested in this method of entering the DMIT program should make an appointment to speak with an Associate Chair before choosing the DMIT courses they will take through NAIT Open Studies. An Associate Chair will aid the applicant in choosing the best courses to take and will help map out a potential path through the DMIT program.
Scholarships & Bursaries
|Canadian Information Processing Society - Fall *||$450.00||1|
|CGI Award of Excellence - Fall & Winter||$1500.00||2|
|City Of Edmonton - Fall *||$1200.00||1|
|Computer Systems Technology Academic Achievement Scholarship - Fall *||$300.00||1|
|COMTECH (Communication Technologies) Ltd. Scholarship - Fall||$2500.00||1|
|CONTAVA Inc. Scholarship - Fall||$1000.00||4|
|George Ward Digital Media and IT Bursary||$1250.00||1|
|Gerri Cook Memorial Scholarship for "The Most Promising Producer" - Spring||$500.00||1|
|Hewlett-Packard (Canada) Ltd. - Fall *||$300.00||1|
|LGS Group Inc. - Fall *||$700.00||1|
|MD of Greenview - Computer Technology Bursary||$7000.00||0|
|Wendell Stanton Memorial Bursary *||$600.00||1|
|Women In Technology & Trades IT Bursary||$2000.00||1|
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.