Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is the process of identifying, assessing and recognizing skills and knowledge acquired through non-formal and informal learning (i.e. work experience, non-formal training, independent study, volunteer activities and hobbies) for a specific goal. PLAR may shorten your training, save you money and help you to access skilled work faster.
How can I receive PLAR credit at NAIT?
An authentic and reliable PLAR assessment determines if an individual has skills, knowledge and abilities equivalent to the course outcomes achieved by students. The assessment criteria are determined by the program and may include
- written challenge exam
- oral exam or interview
- performance/demonstration assessment
- product assessment
- portfolio assessment
Your demonstration of skill and knowledge for a specific NAIT course is evaluated by the NAIT program chair or designate. Fees will apply.
Experience by itself is not necessarily evidence of learning or of learning that is equivalent to what is required in a course. Course credit may be granted to applicants who have presented suitable evidence that their skills and knowledge are equivalent to students who have completed the curriculum, based on the outcomes identified for each course.
Please Note: Refer to the program home page under Advanced Credit for details or contact your program area for current PLAR process information.
These 14 programs continue to be part of PLAR for advance credits. For more information on the assessment process for each program, please visit the individual program page.
- Applied Financial Services
- Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management
- Business Administration Year 1
- Captioning and Court Reporting
- Chemical Technology
- Construction Engineering Technology
- Event Management Certificate (non-credit)
- Hospitality Management
- Instrumentation Engineering Technology
- Medical Radiologic Technology
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Personal Fitness Trainer
- Professional Meat Cutting and Merchandising
- Wireless Systems Engineering Technology