International Applicants Apply Here
International students are an important and vital part of the NAIT community.
- You are considered to be an international applicant if you are not a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- The number of seats available to international students is limited, and they are encouraged to apply early to increase a chance of success.
International Applicants for Degree, Diploma and Certificate Programs
Applicants planning to attend NAIT on a study permit are encouraged to submit a complete application before the following dates:
- May 1st for Fall term classes
- September 1st for Winter term classes
- January 1st for Spring term classes
The Government of Canada requires international students to have a valid post-secondary study permit by the first day of classes in order to begin their studies at a post-secondary institution. To support our future students in meeting this requirement, NAIT will be asking all international applicants to provide proof of a valid study permit. Applicants who are offered a seat in a program after the dates above, will be given 30 days or until the proof of a study permit submission deadlines below, whichever comes first, to meet this condition. Please submit proof of your study permit by uploading a scanned copy of one of the following to your myNAIT Portal:
- Your post-secondary study permit (must be valid until after the start of class), or
- Your post-secondary study permit that will expire before the start of class and a screenshot of your IRCC Portal showing you have submitted an application for a study permit extension, or
- Your Letter of Introduction or Letter of Approval issued by IRCC (the letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit - this letter has your permit reference number which IRCC uses to issue your study permit), or
- Your Verification of Status document (if your valid study permit has been lost and you have yet to receive a replacement document), or
- Your secondary study permit and a screenshot of your IRCC Portal showing you have applied for a post-secondary study permit (if IRCC’s processing time shows that your post-secondary study permit will be secured by the start of class) *Please note a Student Visa is not the same thing as a Study Permit and cannot be accepted as proof of a study permit
Proof of a Study Permit Submission Deadlines:
Proof must be submitted in order to receive an offer of admission (full acceptance) after the following dates for each term:
- July 1st for Fall term classes
- November 1st for Winter term classes
- March 1st for Spring term classes
Please note: Academic Upgrading and English as a Second Language (ESL) applicants will not be asked to show proof of a valid study permit, however, the Government of Canada recommends that those who intend to pursue studies beyond a single semester course or program, apply for a study permit before they begin their studies. Applicants who study at a secondary-school (i.e., high school) in Canada must apply to modify their study permit. Applicants must make sure they obtain a new study permit that allows them to study at a post-secondary institution. If you do not have a study permit for the post-secondary level, you cannot begin your studies at NAIT. You can also use a Conditional Offer of Admission Letter to apply for a study permit or extend your study permit. Students are advised to apply for a study permit as soon as a full/conditional offer of admission letter is issued to maximize chances of receiving a study permit in time for a program start date.
Bridging Programs for International Students
- English as a Second Language
- Academic Upgrading
- Business Administration with English Language Training
NAIT International has created two new scholarship opportunities specifically for International students
The first is an International Scholarship tied to Program of Study. This scholarship is available to NAIT international students currently enrolled in year 2, 3 or 4 of a credit program, and who have demonstrated academic achievement. Applicants must hold a minimum GPA of 2.7. There are 4 scholarships available annually in the amount of $2500. One scholarship will be awarded per School. The scholarships are listed under the following names:
International Applied Sciences Scholarship
International Business Scholarship
International Health and Life Sciences Scholarship
International Skilled Trades Scholarship
The second is the International Community Builder Scholarship. This scholarship is available to NAIT international students currently enrolled in year 2, 3 or 4 of a credit program, and who have demonstrated involvement in the campus community, such as involvement in campus clubs, as a volunteer or peer mentor, etc. Applicants must hold a minimum GPA of 2.0. There are 4 scholarships available annually in the amount of $2500.
To apply for these opportunities and more please visit NAIT Scholarships and Bursaries. Please note: International students are also eligible to apply for any NAIT Scholarship or Bursary that does not explicitly say “Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents only."