How to calculate your GPA
There are two ways to calculate your Grade Point Average
- For courses taken after July 1, 2013, calculate GPA by course credits
- For courses taken prior to July 1, 2013, calculate GPA by course hours
Note: Use this calculation only if your courses were taken after July 1, 2013.
Convert the letter grade for each course to a Grade Point Value by referring to the Grading System chart. (Note: the following notations are not included in the GPA calculation: W – Withdraw, AU – Audit, P – Pass, H – Honours, IN – Incomplete)
Calculate the total number of Grade Points for each course by multiplying the course’s Grade Point Value by the number of course credits.
Calculate the sum of the attempted course credits for the term. Add up the total number of Total Grade Points.
Finally, calculate the Grade Point Average by dividing the total number of grade points by the sum of the attempted credits.
Example of GPA calculation by course credits
|Course||Grade||Grade Point Value||Course Credits||Total Grade Points|
|12 Totals Credits||21 Total Grade Points|
|21 (Total Grade Points) ÷ 12 (Total Credits) = 1.8 GPA|
The GPA is calculated in two different circumstances.
- Term GPA (TGPA) – The TGPA for each term is calculated by dividing the sum of grade points achieved in a term by the sum of all credits attempted in that term.
- Cumulative GPA (CGPA) – The CGPA is calculated by dividing the sum of total grade points achieved at NAIT by the sum of all credits attempted at NAIT.
Note: Use this calculation only if your courses were taken prior to July 1, 2013.
|Percentage||Letter Grade||Grade Point||Descriptor|
(The A+ designation was in effect from July 2003 to June 2008. It was removed July 2008 and reinstated July 2013.)
- Convert the Alpha Grade or % Mark to a Grade Point value by referring to the Grading Chart above. (Note: courses with a grading basis of HPF (Honours/Pass/Fail) and the following notations are not included in the GPA calculation: W – Withdraw, WF – Withdraw Fail, AU – Audit)
- For each course, multiply the Grade Point value by the Attempted Hours.
- Calculated the sum of the Attempted Hours for all the courses. Add up the totals you received in the Step 2 calculations.
- Finally, calculate the Grade Point Average (GPA) by dividing the sum from Step 2 by the Total Attempted Hours.
Example of GPA Calculations by course hours
|Course||Earned Credit||Alpha Grade||% Mark||Grade Point||Attempted Hours||Grade Point x Hours|
|272 Total Attempted Hours||656 Total|
|656 (Grade Points × Hours) ÷ 272 (Total Attempted Hours) = 2.4 GPA|
When calculating the average for each of the academic years, you need to apply the methods mentioned above for all courses of all semesters for that year rather than one semester at a time. Marks are cumulative.