ESL & Academic Upgrading
If you are planning to attend NAIT and enroll in ESL Level 1 to 6 or Academic Upgrading courses, you may be eligible for these funding options.
Alberta Works - Foundational Learning program
(formerly Skills Investment Program)
ESL Continuing Student Alberta Works Session registration for Fall 2019 will reopen May 13, 2019. Registration for Continuing Academic Upgrading and New students will open in May 16, 2019 (see step 3 for updated times due to enrolment schedules).
The Foundational Learning program provides funding for Albertans in designated Full-Time and Part-Time programs. Learner eligibility is determined by Advanced Education and may include Income Support and health benefits. The amount of income support and eligibility for health benefits is determined by a full or part time study status as well as a financial needs assessment.
Step 1 - Determine your eligibility for funding
If you require funding to attend school, you should explore your eligibility early. If you can answer "yes" to all of the following basic eligibility questions you may wish to further explore your eligibility for Alberta Works funding:
- · Are you planning to attend ESL or Academic Upgrading at NAIT?
- · Have you been out of high school for 12 consecutive months?
- · Do you have an Alberta address?
- · Are you a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or convention refugee?
- · Do you have limited financial resources?
For complete eligibility criteria and forms, you can visit Alberta Advanced Education, Financial Support for Training.
Step 2 - Apply and be accepted to NAIT
- Academic Upgrading - You must apply, be accepted and have enrolled in classes. To be considered a full-time Academic Upgrading student, you are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 18 hours of instruction per week.
- ESL - You must have completed the NAIT ESL placement test. To be considered a full-time ESL student you are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 20 hours of instruction per week.
(Alberta Works funded students requiring a reduced course load, due to a documented chronic or permanent disability, must have the appropriate approval from Alberta Human Services)
Step 3 - Register in an Alberta Works Information Session
Sessions are separated by Continuing Student sessions and New Student sessions,
- Continuing Student sessions are for current NAIT students enrolled in the current or immediate upcoming term at NAIT with approved Alberta Works funding.
- If you are not a Continuing Student as defined above, you will enroll in the New Student sessions
Ensure you are signing up for the correct session. New ESL students must have completed the ESL Placement test to avoid being removed from the session and losing your seat. Academic Upgrading students must be accepted to the program at time of session registration and have enrolled in classes no later than May 27, 2019 to avoid being removed from the session and losing your seat.
If dropped from an information session, you will need to complete the requirements (enroll in academic upgrading/ESL Placement test) before registering again (if seats are available). Only enroll in one session. Multiple registrations will result in ALL registrations being cancelled. If you make an error on your enrolment PLEASE email firstname.lastname@example.org, do not re-enroll.
ALBERTA WORKS INFORMATION SESSIONS
Register by clicking the correct session link below:
FALL 2019 ALBERTA WORKS INFORMATION SESSION
Continuing Students Sessions (New Online!)
- Continuing ESL Students- Alberta Works Information Session- Registration will reopen May 13, 2019 at 9 a.m.
- Continuing Academic Upgrading Students- Alberta Works Information Session - Registration will open May 16, 2019 at 3 p.m (class enrolment required by May 27, 2019).
New Student Sessions
- New Student- Alberta Works Information Sessions - Registration will open May 16, 2019 at 4 p.m (Upgrading students must be accepted to the program at time of session registration, class enrolment required by May 27, 2019).
WINTER 2020 ALBERTA WORKS SESSIONS
- To Be Determined
SPRING 2019 ALBERTA WORKS INFORMATION SESSIONS
- To Be Determined
**PLEASE NOTE: Funding is limited. The seats available for information sessions are determined by funding availability and are therefore also limited.
Step 4 - Attend an information session to get your Training Provider Information form
As part of the Alberta Works Learner Income Support application process, students must submit a completed Training Provider Information form along with any other forms required for your application. If you register and attend an information session you will be eligible to receive a Training Provider Information from NAIT, however, funding eligibility will be determined by the government.
If you arrive late or fail to attend the information session, you will not receive a Training Provider Information form and will have to re-register in a session at a later date (if seats are still available).
Step 5 - Apply for funding
You may apply for Alberta Works funding no sooner than five months prior to the start date of training. You can apply online at My Alberta Supports or print and complete the paper application at Financial Support for Training.
- Apply early as it can take up to 8 weeks for the application to be assessed. Waiting to apply and submit a completed application, may result in your funding not being approved in time to start school
- If you apply online you will need to submit by mail the completed application declaration form, Training Provider Information form as well as any other documents or forms as identified in the Next Steps document posted on your My Alberta Supports portal.
- If applying on paper, you will need to mail the original application along with any other required forms and the Training Provider Information form as outlined on their website
- If you are having any difficulties completing the application (either online or on paper) you can refer to the Learner Income Support Application Instructions (found under How to Apply)
Step 6 - Inform NAIT if you are approved for funding
If you are approved for Alberta Works funding to attend NAIT, you must bring your Funding Decision letter into The Student Service Centre or scan and email it to email@example.com. We will review and determine if a Sponsorship Indicator can be added to your account. (If you plan to scan and email your Funding Decision letter to NAIT, please note it can take up to 5 days to be processed.)
Academic Upgrading students: this must be done prior to tuition deadline or you may be dropped for non-payment.
ESL students: this must be done prior to the first day of classes. (Please note that class times are based on availability)
Step 7 - While attending NAIT
- If you are receiving Alberta Works funding to attend NAIT, you must follow the Alberta Works Funding Attendance and Enrolment policy.
- If you have any changes to your situation, you must update the government by submitting a Change in Circumstance form.
Alberta Works Contact Information
For questions regarding applying for Alberta Works funding, contact Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992.
For information about your application after you have applied, contact the Learner Income Support Office (LISO) at 1-800-222-6485 or in Edmonton 780 427 3722
Learner Income Support Office Mailing Address: Learner Income Support Office, Box 17000, Station Main, Edmonton, AB T5J 4R4
If you are receiving financial support through a government sponsorship, please meet with an Academic Advisor at the Student Service Centre with the approved documentation prior to tuition deadline. For questions other than financial sponsorship, please contact with NAIT’s International Centre.
Third Party Sponsorship
If your education is being funded by a sponsor other than Provincial Aid or Alberta Works you will need to follow the Sponsored Students process as noted under NAIT Payment Methods.
For other options, review additional funding.