What to Expect
The Automotive Service Technician program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 3 hours per day in classrooms taking trade theory
- 3 hours per day in a lab or repair shop doing hands-on training
Training is provided at NAIT's Main Campus. Vehicles are supplied for training purposes.
Is This Program For You?
Automotive service technician work is most rewarding for those who enjoy doing precise work that is varied and challenging. To be successful in the trade, automotive service technicians need
- good hearing, eyesight and manual dexterity
- mechanical aptitude and interest
- the ability to lift up to 25 kilograms
- the ability to keep up-to-date with changing technology
- a working knowledge of electricity, electronics and computers
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.