About the Program
Apprentice gasfitters will be taught to follow codes, regulations and accepted safety practices to
- install and repair underground gas mains and distribution pipes
- respond to calls about escaping gas
- assist in the investigation of gas fires and explosions
- convert appliances to use other fuels (for example, propane or natural gas)
NAIT is the largest pipe trades training facility in Alberta, with the capacity to train 2,000 apprentices per year. Our staff carry 3 trade tickets (generally, Plumber, 1st Class Gasfitter, Steamfitter/Pipefitter) along with a minimum of 10 years trade experience.
Tuition & Fees
- Recommended Path - Alberta High School Diploma with: English 30-2, Math 30-3, Physics 30 or Chemistry 30 or Science 30.
- Minimum Requirements - Successful completion of: English 20-2, Math 20-3, Science 10 or Entrance Exam.
You must currently be employed in the trade. If you are not, you must first find an employer willing to hire an apprentice, then contact Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training to become a registered apprentice.
PPE Requirements: Approved safety glasses, where prescription safety glasses are worn sideshields must be added or safety glasses over perscription glasses. CSA (green triangle) approved footwear. Gloves for hot work. Coveralls suitable for hot work (flame/spark resistant material, forearms and shoulders covered).
Scholarships & Bursaries
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.