In addition to other funding options, apprentices may be eligible for the following financial aid options during their apprenticeship studies.
- Alberta Works Skills Investment Funding for Apprentices - not available for apprentices that start on October 1, 2015 or later.
- Canada Apprentice Loan
- Student Aid Alberta * for apprenticeship training beginning after August 1, 2015
- Apprenticeship Completion Grant
- Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
- Apprenticeship Linked Line of Credit (ALLOC)
- ScotiaLine Personal Line of Credit for Students
Alberta Works Apprentice Income Support eligibility is determined by Human Services(formerly AEI). If your EI benefits are not sufficient to cover your living expenses or you do not qualify for EI benefits, and you need additional funds to cover the cost of tuition, books and your moderate living expenses, you may be eligible for financial assistance provided:
- you are attending full-time technical training as part of the apprenticeship program, and
- demonstrate financial need
Apprenticeship Income Support Application Process
1. Complete the application
You can apply two or three months before your technical training start date.
- Complete the Income Support for Apprentices electronic format application (pdf)
- Completion Instructions
- Direct Deposit form
- Child Care Expenses
- Declaration of 18 or 19 Year Old Dependent
- Additional Continuous Benefits
- Change of Circumstance for Apprentices
2. Submit the application
To avoid delays
- Ensure the application has no missing information
- Ensure the application is signed
- Attach all the necessary receipts and supporting documentation, if required.
Then mail the application and all supporting documentation to:
Alberta Employment and Immigration
Learner Income Support Office
PO Box 17000 Stn Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R4
3. Check the status of your application
Contact Students Finance at 780.427.3722.
After your application is processed a Funding Assessment Decision letter will be mailed to your address to advise you of the amount of money you will receive, or the reasons you will not receive funding and when you can expect to receive funding.
You will receive one payment to cover your expenses including tuition, mandatory fees, books, supplies and living costs. It is your responsibility to pay the tuition and fees to the institution.