Welding Distance Delivery
Take welding training online from your home or workplace with NAIT’s Welding Distance Delivery option. This distance training is approved by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) and administered by NAIT. Training is available to all eligible Alberta welding apprentices.
How does Welding Distance Delivery work?
The Welding Distance Delivery option is an alternative method for apprentices to acquire training in the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed for all 3 periods of the welder apprenticeship. You must be a registered apprentice with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) to qualify for distance delivery training.
- Apprentices sign an agreement for a maximum 6-month period (for each apprenticeship year) between September and May.
- A NAIT instructor will come to your workplace to provide a program orientation and make sure you have the right workplace conditions to complete the technical work.
- Course materials are provided in individual learning modules (ILMs), which can be ordered online at shop AT NAIT and delivered right to your home or workplace address.
- Apprentices complete a majority of the theoretical and technical training from their home and current workplace by using the Moodle online learning platform.
Apprentices will travel to NAIT Main Campus in Edmonton a few times each period for training opportunities and testing purposes. Apprentice competence determines the length of time needed on campus. Apprentices must maintain passing grades to be eligible to register in the distance delivery program for the next year of training.
Why should I register in Welding Distance Delivery?
The distance delivery option is ideal for apprentices who are unable to register for traditional apprenticeship intakes or classes for various reasons, such as travel distance, financial reasons and family or employment commitments.
Benefits for apprentices
- Train at your own pace – You can take up to 6 months, or finish it as quick as you are able
- Maintain your income – You can continue to work full time while completing online theory on evenings/weekends and practicing assigned welds at your workplace
- Online learning environment – You can get started right away by using Moodle and course materials ordered through shop AT NAIT
Benefits for employers
- Less disruption to workforce scheduling – There is no need to find short-term fill-ins for apprentices in training
- Reduced training costs – Apprentices are only away from the workplace for a couple of weeks per period for testing
Distance learning is best suited for apprentices who have strong reading and comprehension skills, can effectively manage their time and are self-disciplined. Apprentices must currently be working in the trade for an employer who is willing to support the program and have access to all equipment at their place of employment to complete the welding processes covered in each training period.
For more information about the Welding Distance Delivery program, please contact
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org