Published on June 12, 2017
Building recognized for diverting construction waste, reducing water consumption and using LED lighting
EDMONTON – NAIT’s Centre for Applied Technology has been recognized with gold status under the Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) rating system.
The building, which opened in August, 2016, was recognized for recycling or diverting more than 98 per cent of its construction waste, using water-saving fixtures and installing all LED lights, among many other features.
To mark the achievement, NAIT’s President and CEO, Dr. Glenn Feltham, planted a tree outside the building during staff Well-Being Day. Saplings were given to staff who attended the tree planting.
- More than 4,400 tonnes construction waste from the building was diverted or recycled
- About 16 per cent of the building’s materials came from recycled material
- Low-flow fixtures reduce water consumption by 16 million litres per year
- The building contains all LED fixtures and occupancy sensors
- A green housekeeping program reduces the use of harmful chemicals
- The indoor environmental quality is improved with low-emitting paints, coatings and carpets
- The LEED rating system measures green building design and construction in more than 160 countries
- The Centre for Applied Technology (CAT) is the largest capital project in NAIT’s history
Dr. Glenn Feltham, NAIT president and CEO
“We’re so proud to see this wonderful, new building recognized for its environmental features and its recycling and waste-reduction measures during construction. It was important to us to ensure the facilities in CAT were not only leading the way in technology and in teaching practice, but in environmental stewardship as well.”
Read the story on techlifetoday.ca
NAIT Centre for Applied Technology
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) is a leading Canadian polytechnic, delivering education in science, technology and the environment; business; health and trades. With nearly 60,000 credit and non-credit students and a 95 per cent employer satisfaction rate, NAIT grads are essential to Alberta’s prosperity. Known for hands-on, technology-based learning, NAIT engages with business and industry in applied research and innovation and provides corporate training around the world. Recognized as one of Alberta’s top employers, NAIT provides outstanding returns on investment for its graduates, partners, the provincial government and the people of Alberta.