Credit for Work or Life Experience
What is Recognition of Prior Learning?
NAIT recognizes that knowledge and skills are gained in different ways. To support our community of learners, NAIT will occasionally award appropriate credit or recognition for prior learning obtained through informal training or work or life experience. This process is referred to as Prior Learning Assessment Recognition (PLAR).
Course credit may be granted to applicants who have presented suitable evidence that their skills and knowledge are equal to students who have completed the curriculum, based on the outcomes identified for each course.
Take this quiz to see if you qualify
Request an assessment
Students must have been accepted to their NAIT credit program before submitting a request for Transfer Credit, Credential Recognition or PLAR. Open Studies students are not eligible to apply for advanced credit as they have not been accepted to a NAIT program.
It will take a maximum of 6 weeks to complete your RPL assessment.
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
If you have been accepted to one of the programs listed below, you will need to pay a $150 evaluation fee for each course challenged to have your prior learning assessed. Please check the candidate guide on your program web page to identify which courses are formalized for PLAR credit.
Applying for PLAR Credit
- Access the program page and review the details under the PLAR (Prior Learning and Assessment Recognition) section.
- To view which courses are available for PLAR Credit, please refer to the courses identified or listed within the Candidate Guide on your Program webpage.
- If you feel that you have successful work experience in the program’s field of study, and you can provide evidence of your skills and knowledge to meet the learning outcomes of the course, please contact your Program area for further discussion and to schedule a meeting to begin the PLAR process.
- If the Program Designate feels that you are a successful candidate for PLAR, you will complete the PLAR Credit Request form at this meeting.
- After completion, you must take this form and pay the evaluation fee to the Student Service Centre. Please note: A $1.75% non-refundable convenience fee will be added to all credit card payments. For additional methods of payment, please visit Tuition & Fees.
- Once paid, please submit your PLAR Credit Request form with all required documents, as discussed at your meeting, to your program designate. Include proof of payment if the form is not stamped showing that it has been paid.
- Your request will be reviewed within 6-weeks of the request package being received. You will then be notified via email to check the credit granted on your Student Portal. You may need to participate in the review/assessment process as outlined by your Program Designate. Once you have received a decision, please review your transcript for credit awarded and drop out of your course before the Add/Drop Deadline
- You are encouraged to enrol in your classes to secure your spot while you are awaiting a decision.
Impact to student full-time status
Advanced credit may help you achieve your educational goals sooner, but it may affect your eligibility for financial aid or academic honours.
This is because the definition of full-time status for financial aid may be different than NAIT’s. Only the courses you actually take at NAIT count towards determining full-time status.
For questions about financial aid, contact the Student Service Centre, CAT 180, Centre for Applied Technology.
For questions about academic honours, including semester honours, the Dean’s Honour Roll, an honours diploma/certificate, or awards, review NAIT’s Academic Regulations and Procedures (pdf), or contact advising or program staff.