International Peer Group
About the program
The International Peer Group (IPG) program helps new students studying in Canada to make friends, build connections, and have a great campus experience at NAIT. The program provides peer-to-peer connections to help reduce cultural transition stress for students new to studying in Canada.
Each peer group consists of 1 international peer mentor (IPM, a senior student volunteer) and 3 to 6 student mentees.
Want to get involved?
- Students who are new to studying in Canada can join as student mentees.
- Current students (both domestic and international) who have completed at least one semester of study at NAIT can join as volunteer peer mentors.
Learn more about the program
Students who are new to Canada
Join an international peer group
Student mentees are new, first-year NAIT students who are new to studying in Canada. Student Mentees should commit to participating in group meetups and activities during the semester they have signed up for. Upon signing up for the program, student mentees will be matched with an IPM.
Duration: 1 semester (fall or winter)
Benefits for new students:
- Have the opportunity to ask questions related to cultural adjustment to a senior year student and receive peer-to-peer advice from them.
- Meet fellow students and make friends in your International Peer Group.
- Develop a social network of support around you as you start your academic journey at NAIT.
- Increase your understanding of NAIT systems and awareness of NAIT student services.
- Practice interpersonal skills and building a network for future opportunities!
Please note that IPMs will not provide help with student coursework. Please visit Nimbus Learning, offered by the NAIT Students’ Association, for information on tutoring resources.
To join an international peer group, fill and submit the student mentee signup form. The Winter 2023 IPG signup deadline is January 11 , 2023.
Current NAIT students
Volunteer as a peer mentor
International peer mentors (IPMs) are current students who have completed at least one semester of study at NAIT and are committed to supporting students from outside of Canada in their cultural transition journey.
Benefits of volunteering as a mentor:
- Embrace a unique opportunity to get involved in a meaningful student leadership role.
- Gain meaningful and fulfilling experience in engaging and empowering students new to studying in Canada to become more successful in their transition to NAIT and Canada.
- Meet and build friendships with peers from different parts of the world.
- Enjoy professional development opportunities in the areas of student leadership, communications, and intercultural skills.
- Obtain co-curriculum record recognition that shows your IPM experience on your official transcript; receive an appreciation gift and letter from NAIT upon successful completion of mentor duties!
International Peer Mentor volunteer application is now closed. Recruitment of new peer mentors typically takes place over the summer months. Check back for updates.