Program delivery varies by program and may be subject to change.. We encourage you to review how your classes will be delivered for the upcoming terms. If you have questions about program delivery or class enrolment, please contact your program area.
Do you have an eye for design?
The Engineering Design Technology program will provide you with both a theoretical and practical education that will serve as the foundation for a career as an engineering designer.
This program could be a great fit for you if you:
- Demonstrate a high attention to detail
- Have good math and physics skills
- Enjoy working with computers
- Enjoy working in an office environment
Engineering Design Technology presents a broad spectrum of engineering content, primarily focused on the fundamental principles of engineering design and computer applications common to a variety of engineering disciplines.
Employment rates reported by NAIT alumni are for information purposes and do not guarantee future employment opportunities.
Salaries reported by NAIT alumni are for information purposes and are not a guarantee of future alumni income.
Hands-on, industry-relevant skills
Through a number of classes specifically tailored to meet industry requirements, you'll develop strong physics and mathematical skills to apply toward creating engineering drawings and 3D models using the latest computer-aided design and drafting software.
You'll also have the opportunity to learn technical drafting concepts and skills using traditional drafting concepts and methods. Although manual drafting is no longer practiced in industry, these technical drafting concepts and standards are important in the learning process. Once you've worked through this introductory phase, you'll then become adept at using computers for both design and drafting, utilizing major CADD software packages.
As an engineering designer, you will need intimate knowledge of both engineering design concepts and methods, and become familiar with engineering tools, services, systems and practices:
- Prepare and interpret design and working drawings
- Design and specify standard mechanical components
- Design for Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
- Design electrical control systems and instrumentation
- Road design including curbs, sewers, and water mains
- Land development and water management systems
- Designs piping systems, tanks, and pressure vessels
- Process equipment design and plant layout
- Structural design including steel and reinforced concrete
- Technical mathematics, including calculus
- Engineering sciences, including statics, strength of materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and electricity
- CAD software such as AutoCAD and MicroStation
- Field surveying, calculations and legal survey plans
- Technical communications including formal report writing
- Project management
Enter the workforce with confidence
The program boasts an exceptionally high graduate placement rate. Graduates report competitive salaries and opportunities for rapid career advancement.
Many industry sectors employ EDDT grads, both locally and further abroad, including:
- Engineering consulting
- Design and construction
- Technical sales/service
Graduates start careers as drafters/designers in engineering design offices or on project sites, and with experience can progress to senior levels of management.
A typical career progression could include one or more of the following:
- CAD operator
- Project controller
- Technical salesperson
- Customer service representative
- Site supervisor
- Self employed contractor
Become a trusted professional
Graduates of this program earn a diploma in Engineering Design Technology.
While enrolled in the program, you'll be eligible for student membership in the following professional associations:
After graduation and required work experience, you may also be eligible for professional accreditation.
You may also continue your studies after graduation by pursuing a Bachelor of Technology (BTech). Diploma grads can earn a BTech degree with just two more years of study. Full-time and part-time study options are available.
Learn more about NAIT's BTech program