Additional Requirements and Considerations
First Aid - Standard First Aid and CPR.
Driver's License - An Alberta Class 5 driver's license is recommended and a requirement for most jobs in forestry.
Students are required to have laptop computers for the duration of their studies at NAIT. This is referred to as BYOD (bring your own device). Students are also required to have a GPS enabled Android tablet for field data collection. To ensure student success, devices must meet minimum standards to operate the required educational software used throughout the program. Before purchasing a laptop and tablet, please note the following requirements.
• 15.6 inch display (minimum 24-bit color depth).
• 2.2 GHz minimum; Hyper-threading (HHT) or Multi-core recommended.
• Memory / RAM 8 GB or higher.
• 500 GB hard drive.
• Video/Graphics adaptor 256MB RAM, or higher (NVIDIA, ATI, and Intel chipsets supported), 24-bit capable graphics accelerator.
• OpenGL version 2.0 runtime minimum is required, and Shader Model 3.0 or higher is recommended.
• Microsoft Windows 10 Home or Pro version recommended (NOT Windows 10 S).
• Students are responsible for the service and repair of their own computers.
• Tech Support will be available to assist with NAIT educational software licensing and installation issues.
• No Apple laptops. There are NO MAC VERSIONS of the required ARCGIS software. Previous semesters have shown that Apple laptops have frequent incompatibility issues.
Android Tablet Requirements (used in Semester 2 and beyond):
• A GPS enabled Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) or later
• Processor: ARMv7 or later, or x86
• OpenGL ES 2.0 support
• Precise location (GPS and network-based) support
• A ruggedized Otter box case (or similar)
If you have any questions please contact either the School of Applied Sciences and Technology technical support at SSBEMTech@nait.ca or the Forest Technology Program at FOT@nait.ca.