About the Program
The health-care industry has experienced an explosive increase in the application of sophisticated medical diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. The increased use of these technologies and equipment has resulted in heightened technical expertise requirements for medical professional employees. Biomedical Engineering Technology evolved from the need for medical professional employees to provide safe and effective application of patient care technology.
The biomedical engineering technologist assists the medical profession by maintaining medical equipment (heart monitors, surgical lasers, defibrillators, etc.), educating users on appropriate equipment practices, developing improved equipment designs, providing consultation on equipment selection and ensuring adherence to codes, laws and regulations pertaining to medical equipment.
This nationally-accredited program provides specialized training in biomedical instrumentation, X-ray and diagnostic imaging equipment, medical laboratory instrumentation and computer networks. Studies also include anatomy, physiology and regulations pertaining to medical equipment.
Tuition & Fees (Cost per semester)
Cost Per Credit: $223
Tuition Cap: $2,167
Health & Dental: $128
Rec. & Athletics: $70
Books, Supplies & Program Fees (est.)
Semester 1: $1500
Semester 2: $750
Semester 3: $1050
Semester 4: $650
Please note: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. Students who take all of their courses online are exempt from U-Pass, Health & Dental, and Recreation & Athletics fees. All fees are subject to change.
- Grade 12 English
- Pure Math 30 or Math 30-1
- One of: Physics 30, Chemistry 30
Competitive Entrance - 80% overall average (military applicants do not have to be competitive)
View the English Language Proficiency Requirements for the Program: NAIT | English Language Proficiency
- Immunization requirements: Once accepted into the program, students must ensure their immunizations are current to the Alberta Health Services Immunization Standards. The BET program will contact you with specific instructions for completing the immunization requirements.
- Police Information Check: Once accepted into the program, students are responsible for providing a satisfactory Police Information Check (PIC) dated within 90 days of the start date of the program. The BET program will contact you with specific instructions for completing the PIC requirements.
- Biosafety Course Requirement - Biosafety is mandatory for all students in the BET program to ensure compliance with the Human Pathogens and Toxins Act. A biosafety course will be delivered online using Moodle. Students will be directed on deadlines and completion requirements during program specific orientation. If course requirements are not met, access to designated labs may be denied.
Fourth-semester field practice placements and clinical guest lectures at hospitals in the region are integrated with a one-month practicum to provide students with a practical foundation for employment in the field.
Students may be eligible to participate in a one semester co-op placement between their first and second year of training. Successful co-op students work in a program related, industry position and gain advanced job-readiness skills. Acceptance into co-op requires successful completion of first term coursework with a GPA of 2.3.
Consult with the program chair for the current fee schedule and for more information.
- Length: one semester
- Salary: determined by participating companies
- Dates: May to August (some placements become available during other terms)
Accreditation & Industry Certification
This is a nationally accredited program, recognized towards the certification of the graduate as a technologist by the constituent associations of the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists.
Free student memberships in the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists (ASET) are available. Students are also eligible for student membership in the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE).
Scholarships & Bursaries
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.