What to Expect
The program's objectives are to provide students with a good working knowledge of accounting and information systems, and understanding of the accountant's role in those systems. Accounting and information systems include familiarity with computer applications in business, understanding of quantitative analysis techniques and derivation of meaningful relationships in financial data.
At the JR Shaw School of Business, real-world assignments make classes relevant and interesting. Students continually hone their skills through hands-on learning opportunities.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend on average
- 20 hours per week attending classes over the course of the semester
- An additional 20-30 hours per week studying, completing class assignments and doing research outside of scheduled class time
The School of Business is located in the Centre for Applied Technology (CAT), which features leading-edge labs and classrooms.
Features of this building include
- 45 labs and simulations rooms, including a Banking/Stock Trading lab
- high quality wireless network
- thirty-five 32-seat classrooms
- twenty-two 64-seat classrooms
- computer commons featuring about 90 work stations walk up help desk for technology issues
- 135-seat theatre
- variety of spaces for studying and socializing
- outdoor quad with a stage
- several eatery options
The JR Shaw School of Business highly recommends our students acquire and make use of a computer (laptop or tablet*) in and away from the classroom in order to successfully engage and complete JR Shaw curriculum.
Your computer will be used to access key learning resources critical to your success in the program and therefore must be in good working order. It is also important to have a battery with sufficient life to allow for use when a plug-in is not available; as your battery should be able to last throughout your daily schedule/classes. Replacement batteries can often be purchased to improve battery life on an existing computer.
At a minimum your laptop must meet the following requirements:
- Windows 7 or higher
- 10 GB free hard drive space
- 2 GB memory (RAM)
- Wi-Fi Connection
- OSX 10.7 (Lion) or later
- 10 GB free hard drive
- 2 GB memory (RAM)
- Wi-Fi Connection
For tablets* the minimum Operating System requirements are as follows:
- Android - KitKat 4.4
- Apple - iOS8
- Microsoft - Windows 10
*Please make sure you have a dedicated keyboard and pointing device (mouse or stylus) to complement your tablet so you will not be disadvantaged when completing online activities, assignments, and assessments in and out of the classroom.
Is This Program For You?
This program is recommended for those who want to pursue careers in accounting, who expect to make extensive use of accounting in their jobs or who wish to use their expertise as financial managers.
The JR Shaw School of Business offers many opportunities that enhance student life. We get to know our students, learn their goals and assist them in achieving their potential. We partner with businesses and industry leaders, enabling our students to work on real projects in a supportive and engaging environment.
Along with this unique education experience, students have additional learning opportunities:
- Clubs - Students draw on skills developed in the classroom as they work on projects, hone their networking skills and learn from industry experts. Learn more
- The Accounting Club of NAIT represents NAIT students in any accounting program who are interested in networking with other students and industry or interested in participating in accounting-related events. Its purpose is to provide students with opportunities to build upon their personal network and skills required for post-graduation. The Accounting Club of NAIT is an event-based organization which focuses on providing opportunities for members to develop various skills related to the accounting profession and expand their experiences. To get more information or to contact the club please e-mail email@example.com.
- Business Competitions – Students in the JR Shaw School of Business have an opportunity to participate in a wide range of business competitions during their studies at NAIT.
- Awards – Our students have enjoyed great success and recognition in various competitions, locally, nationally and internationally.
- If you need assistance, information or have questions, please contact the Business Information Centre at 780.471.8998, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beyond the classroom
From the first year to the last, we want you get the most out of your educational experience. As the school year begins, a first-year orientation session prepares students for the year ahead. At this session, students
- get their class schedules
- learn about NAIT services
- meet the JR Shaw School of Business staff member who will be their main contact for program questions