What to Expect
Through the highly-regarded IET program, students gain the knowledge and skills needed for successful careers within instrumentation technology. The program involves detailed studies of the principles and application of pneumatic, electronic, and microcomputer measurement and control systems. Access to state-of-the-art laboratories and a hands-onapproach to learning provide students with job-ready experience.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average:
- 27 hours per week attending classes over the course of a semester.
- 27 hours per week studying and completing class assignments.
Is This Program For You?
Student who demonstrate the following characteristics are generally successful in the field of instrumentation:
- enjoy math, sciences and solving problems
- ability to work well with others in a team environment
- like to be challenged
- work well under pressure
- can make many decisions and handle a large number of things happening at once
Skills you will acquire
- Apply principles of process control to analyze and optimize the performance of industrial processes.
- Install and maintain process instruments.
- Install and maintain analytical instruments and sampling systems.
- Configure and troubleshoot industrial controllers.
- Install, program and troubleshoot industrial controllers.
- Design and specify measurement, safety and control systems for industrial applications.
- Use computer hardware and software relevant to instrumentation.
- Work in a safe and professional manner following regulatory and industry specific work practices.
- Communicate effectively through written and verbal means.
- Use tools appropriate to the instrumentation field in a safe and effective matter.
- Participate as a member of an effective team.
Women in Technology and Trades
The Instrumentation Engineering Technology program is supported by Women in Technology and Trades (WITT), an offering of NAIT Student Engagement. The goal of WITT is to ensure that all female students are aware of and prepared for the career opportunities that are available to them in diverse technical fields. Throughout the year, WITT provides networking events, lunch and learns, mentorship opportunities and support services that are available to women in technology and trades programs at NAIT.