About the Program
Apprentice plumbers are taught to perform a wide variety of work including
- Preparing and studying blueprints, drawings and specifications to develop the layout of plumbing systems and determine materials and tools needed.
- Preparing detailed sketches for pipe and equipment fabrication and installation.
- Determining the best sequence of tasks for projects.
- Locating and marking positions for connections, then cutting holes through walls and floors to accommodate pipes.
- Measuring pipes and marking cutting or bending lines.
- Installing and maintaining plumbing systems in a range of residential and commercial applications.
NAIT is the largest pipe trades training facility in Alberta, with the capacity to train 2,000 apprentices per year. Our staff carry 3 trade tickets (generally Plumber, 1st Class Gasfitter, Steamfitter/Pipefitter) along with a minimum of 10 years trade experience.
Tuition & Fees
- Recommended Path - Alberta High School Diploma with: English 30-2, Math 30-3, Physics 20 or Chemistry 20 or Science 20.
- Minimum Requirements - Successful completion of: English 20-2, Math 20-3, Science 10 or Entrance Exam.
You must currently be employed in the trade. If you are not, you must first find an employer willing to hire an apprentice, then contact Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training to become a registered apprentice.
PPE Requirements: Approved safety glasses, where prescription safety glasses are worn sideshields must be added or safety glasses over perscription glasses. CSA (green triangle) approved footwear. Gloves for hot work. Coveralls suitable for hot work (flame/spark resistant material, forearms and shoulders covered).
Scholarships & Bursaries
|Canadian Home Builders' Association - Edmonton Region Scholarships||$2000.00||8|
|GRUNDFOS Canada Inc. Plumber Scholarship - Spring||$1000.00||1|
|ICON Industrial Contractors Ltd. Excellence in Plumbing Award||$1000.00||1|
|Northway Pontiac Buick GMC Ltd. Apprenticeship Award||$1000.00||2|
|The Order of the Eastern Star Edmonton Chapter #19 Bursary||$700.00||2|
|Vasa Skandia Award Fund||$600.00||3|
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.