Published on August 12, 2020
Photo credit: NAIT staff
EDMONTON - The legacy of former NAIT president and CEO Dr. Glenn Feltham was celebrated today at a small ceremony marking the renaming of NAIT’s Centre for Applied Technology to the Feltham Centre.
Over his nine-year tenure, Dr. Feltham spearheaded many projects and initiatives that saw NAIT grow in both reputation and size. One such project was the construction of the Centre for Applied Technology. As one of the largest simulation-based learning facilities in Canada, the 550,000 square-foot building has served as home base to 5,000 full-time students from NAIT’s business, health and life sciences, and applied sciences and technology programs.
The centre, which houses 45 leading-edge labs and simulation rooms and holds a gold certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) rating system, opened its doors to students and staff in 2016 and has since become one of NAIT’s most recognizable and popular buildings.
Affectionately known as NAIT’s ‘cheerleader-in-chief,’ Dr. Feltham played an integral role in the institution’s vision of becoming one of the world’s leading polytechnics. Under his leadership, NAIT strengthened Alberta’s and Canada’s economies through hands-on, technology-based education and applied research in partnership with industry.
The Feltham Centre will serve as a reminder to the NAIT, Edmonton, Alberta and polytechnic communities that Dr. Feltham was indeed one of their biggest champions.
- Dr. Glenn Feltham served as NAIT’s sixth president and CEO from 2011 to 2019.
- Dr. Feltham led the institution in its vision to become one of the world’s leading polytechnics and the most relevant and responsive post-secondary institution in Canada.
- Under his leadership, one of the largest post-secondary buildings in Canada, the Centre for Applied Technology, was constructed, opening in 2016.
- At 51,600 square metres, the Feltham Centre (known as the Centre for Applied Technology from 2016-2020) is the largest building on NAIT’s Main Campus with approximately 5,000 full-time students studying in advanced labs, simulations centres and classrooms.
- The Feltham Centre received gold certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) rating system, making it NAIT’s first building to achieve this certification.
“I feel blessed to have served as President and CEO of NAIT—there is truly no better institution or people. I am moved to be recognized by the naming of this truly polytechnic building. I want to thank NAIT and its board for bestowing this honour upon me.”
—Dr. Glenn Feltham, former NAIT president and CEO
“Glenn had a profound impact on NAIT during his time as President and CEO—from truly defining what it meant for NAIT to be a polytechnic and creating its collective vision, NAIT 2021, to securing NAIT’s future through campus development, acquiring land at Blatchford and much, much more. It is truly fitting to rename the Centre for Applied Technology to Feltham Centre in recognition of his accomplishments.”
—Ray Pisani, Chair, NAIT Board of Governors
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) is a leading Canadian polytechnic, delivering education in science, technology and the environment; business; health and skilled trades. With 35,000 credit and non-credit students and a 98 per cent employer satisfaction rate, NAIT grads are essential to the provincial economy. NAIT also contributes to Alberta's prosperity by helping business and industry become more competitive with Industry Solutions offered through its Productivity and Innovation Centre, including technology adoption, business and product innovation and industry-driven research. Recognized as one of Alberta's top employers, NAIT provides outstanding returns on investment for its graduates, partners, the provincial government and the people of Alberta.
NAIT Media Relations
C 780.916.8307 E email@example.com