Hands-on, industry-relevant skills
The Computer Software Development area of emphasis (formerly Application Development) teaches you to design and implement scalable application solutions, including developing, testing, documentation, deployment and support. You will also learn how to design, create and maintain databases for use in various applications.
These courses will show you how to:
- write, test, debug, implement and maintain computer software programs
- design, create, and maintain databases utilizing industry best practices, including Structured Query Language (SQL)
- develop web applications
- generate system deliverables using various System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies
- develop native iOS applications
- develop native Android applications
Because of the flexibility and breadth of the DMIT program, you may choose to take elective courses from other DMIT streams in addition to your core stream courses. The courses listed on this page are provided as recommended courses that will help you succeed in your chosen DMIT area of emphasis.
Become a trusted professional
After graduation and required work experience, you may also be eligible to join the following professional associations:
Opportunities for further education
You may also continue your studies after graduation by pursuing a Bachelor of Technology (BTech) or Bachelor of Applied Information Systems Technology - Information Systems (BAIST-IS). Diploma grads can earn a BTech or BAIST-IS degree with just two more years of study. Full-time and part-time study options are available.