Program delivery varies by program and may be subject to change.. We encourage you to review how your classes will be delivered for the upcoming terms. If you have questions about program delivery or class enrolment, please contact your program area.
Hard-wired for success
The Electrical Installations Technology diploma is your pathway to apprenticeship, and a unique opportunity to get the technical and career essential skills you need to succeed in the electrical industry.
The program focuses on theory and hands-on training required for the installation, repair and maintenance of electrical systems in residential, commercial and industrial environments. This program also teaches career essential skills such as communication, professionalism and collaboration, which will help you pursue a career in the Electrical Installations Technology field.
The Electrical Installations Technology diploma offers a direct pathway into trades training at NAIT without having to first be a registered apprentice.
Employment rates reported by NAIT alumni are for information purposes and do not guarantee future employment opportunities.
Salaries reported by NAIT alumni are for information purposes and are not a guarantee of future alumni income.
A career in the electrical industry calls for an understanding of both technical knowledge and career essential skills. Learning outcomes for this program include:
- Understanding of industry standards, legislation, policies and practices
- Ability to:
- Identify safety hazards
- Explain, discuss and apply electrical theory and mathematics
- Install, analyze and maintain rotating, static and solid-state electrical equipment and controls
- Design, interpret and convert drawings and schematic diagrams for electrical installations
- Communicate effectively using written, verbal and graphical means
- Navigate, interpret and apply applicable sections of the Canadian Electrical Code Part 1 for electrical installations
The program content and structure aligns with Alberta Credential Framework expectations. This 2-year diploma program provides you with immediate opportunities for employment in the field of electrical installation. After completing the program, you will be eligible to enter into an apprenticeship and complete apprenticeship hours to receive a journeyperson’s certificate.
Enter the workforce with confidence
Increasing demands for energy and the ongoing development of new technologies mean big growth for the electrical industry! You’ll enter a diverse field of employment once you complete this diploma, with opportunities for residential, commercial and industrial electricians.
Other opportunities for managerial and leadership roles include foreman, project manager, estimator, purchaser, superintendent, field supervisor, inspector and trainer.
Graduates will also be eligible to register for apprenticeship and may have associated employment opportunities.
Graduates of the diploma program are eligible to further their education with the following programs:
This program is available to international students as a pathway to apprenticeship.
International applicants should please note the following:
- Students in this program may qualify to work while studying.
- Graduates of this program may qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
- Graduates holding a Post-Graduation Work Permit may qualify to register as an apprentice, upon meeting all of AIT’s eligibility requirements. Registering as an apprentice with Alberta Industry Training (AIT) is a requirement to work in this industry in Alberta. Learn more about who can register as an apprentice.
- Prospective international applicants should connect with our international recruitment team to learn about their study options and how to apply.