Applying for Advanced Credits
Before you apply
Transfer credit options vary over time and are subject to change. Please see the Alberta Learning Information Service’s TransferAlberta website to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.
You must have been accepted into a NAIT credit program and paid the non-refundable tuition deposit before submitting a request for Transfer Credit, Credential Recognition or Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR).
You can only receive credit for up to 50% of any NAIT credit program. Open Studies students are not eligible to apply for advanced credit.
Each program also has other requirements for advanced credit, including:
- a maximum time frame since the course completion date
- a minimum mark
See individual Program pages for more detailed information.
Look up requirements for your program
How to apply for Transfer Credit
Once you have been accepted into a NAIT Credit program, you are eligible to apply for Transfer Credit. Please follow the below steps to avoid any delay in the assessment review or posting of transfer credits:
- Visit your program webpage and select the Courses menu to view all the courses in the program
- Click on each course to view the course outline
- Review the relevant course outlines and identify the courses for which you believe you could successfully receive credit.
- Gather documents you may need, such as:
- Official Transcripts (if not already submitted to NAIT)
- Course outlines/syllabuses
- Learning Outcomes
- IQAS or NAIT Foreign Document Assessment (if not already submitted to NAIT)
- Other relevant documents
*Please ensure that all of the above documents submitted are in English.
Learn more about submitting documents to NAIT.
- Fill out the Transfer Credit Request form and pay the $75 evaluation fee to the Student Service Centre (please see fees for further information). Please note: A $1.75% non-refundable convenience fee will be added to all credit card payments. For additional methods of payment, please visit Tuition & Fees.
- Once paid, please submit your Transfer Credit Request form with all required documents to your program designate. Include proof of payment if your form is not stamped indicating payment received. (Please note: There is no current fee for internal transfer credit review)
- Your request will be reviewed within 6-weeks of the request package being received. Once a decision has been made, you will be notified via email to check the credit granted on your Student Portal. Please review your unofficial transcript for credit awarded and drop out of courses before the Add/Drop Deadline.
- You are encouraged to enrol in your classes to secure your spot while you are awaiting a decision.
NAIT transfer credit guidelines
Before submitting a transfer request form, you must have been accepted into a NAIT credit program and paid the non-refundable tuition deposit. You should enrol in the courses you want to receive credit for until you receive official confirmation that credit has been received.
- Credit is granted per course – partial credit will not be granted.
- Credit granted will not exceed that of the NAIT course credit.
- The curriculum of the original course must be a minimum of an 80% match to NAIT course outcomes.
Submit request for recognition of previously completed post-secondary education including certificates, diplomas and degrees.
Transfer Credit Assessment Fees
There is a $75 fee to assess requests for transfer credit and credential recognition from another recognized post-secondary institution. This fee must be paid before you submit your request to the program.
- Transfer Credit/Credential Recognition from a NAIT program to another NAIT program:
- Transfer Credit/Credential Recognition from any other recognized post-secondary institution:
Transfer Credit and Credential Recognition fees are required from students who have been accepted to a program beginning fall 2014 and onwards.
Learn more about transfer credit and credential recognition
Credit card transaction fees
A 1.75% non-refundable convenience fee will be added to all credit card payments. For additional methods of payment, please visit Tuition & Fees.
Advanced Credit Appeal Process
If you don’t agree with the results of a Transfer or PLAR credit assessment, you should discuss the matter directly with your Program Chair within 10 business days of receiving the decision.
If you are still not satisfied with the result, after discussion with the Program Chair, you can follow the formal appeal process below:
- Provide reasons for your formal appeal and attach any necessary additional details to your Transfer/PLAR Appeal Request Form.
- Submit the Advanced Credit Appeal Form in person at the Student Service Centre within 10 business days of receiving the informal appeal. You are required to pay the $35 processing fee at that time. Please note: A $1.75% non-refundable convenience fee will be added to all credit card payments.
- The Registrar’s Office will refer the request to the appropriate Dean.
- The Dean will review the appeal and inform the Registrar’s Office of the decision within 21 business days of receiving the request. You will receive a copy of the Advanced Credit Appeal Request form with the final decision noted. The decision of the Dean is final.
- If your appeal is successful, your credit will be awarded and posted to your account. You will be refunded the $35 appeal fee.