Awards for first-year students
If you're an incoming student to NAIT, you can apply for entrance awards. These monetary awards, grants and bursaries not only assist in financing your first-year of post-secondary studies, but also recognizing your achievements.
There are a variety of entrance awards available with different eligibility criteria, such as community involvement, academic achievement, extracurricular activities, or financial need. There are also diversity grants available for marginalized students to support efforts to remove financial barriers to post-secondary.
These awards are for incoming degree, diploma and certificate students who are new to NAIT and have not previously taken credits or completed a program at NAIT.
Once your application has been evaluated and if you receive an offer of admission, you can use these funds towards your tuition and fees.
How to apply
To be considered for entrance awards:
- Apply to a NAIT degree, diploma or certificate program – be sure to apply early!
- Set up your MyNAIT student portal account using your NAIT Student ID and the instructions you were emailed after you applied to NAIT.
- Once you’ve created your MyNAIT account, you will be sent an email with access to the award application within 24 hours.
- Review and complete the entrance award application in your MyNAIT portal, under ‘My Tasks’ (Entrance Award Task), before the application deadline.
- Monitor your email and e-letters in MyNAIT during the decision notification period (see table below).
If you have questions about the application process, contact the Student Awards office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for applying for entrance awards
- Read the instructions thoroughly and carefully at each step of the application.
- Be sure to answer the awards questions accurately as a customized list of available awards will appear based on your answers.
- You can save your progress and return to edit the application at any point during the application process. Once you submit your application, the submission is final and you are unable to go back to edit or update answers.
- Some awards may require additional documentation, such as an essay. Be sure to fully answer the essay question and give specific examples, wherever possible.
Do I have to be accepted to a program to apply for entrance awards?
You don’t need to wait be accepted into a program to apply for entrance awards. You can apply for these awards after applying to NAIT and creating a MyNAIT portal account. It does not matter what your application status is when applying for entrance awards.
For information on award decisions and timelines, see below section.
Entrance award timelines and deadlines
Make sure you complete the entrance award task before the deadline date. Late applications will not be accepted or considered.
||March - April*
||March - June
||May - June
||July - September
*For Fall 2024 applicants and beyond, the application period for fall will be October – March
Once the application period has closed, if you've been selected to receive an award, you will be notified via email and an e-letter. An award offer may have an award condition attached (eg. class enrolment).
For some awards an award decision is based on your admission to NAIT. Monitor your MyNAIT portal and watch for your admission decision. Once you accept your offer of admission and the award application period has closed, an award decision can be made.
Information for award recipients