ELP Exams and other assessments
For applicants without 3 years of consecutive, full-time academic study in English, a formal assessment (such as an ELP exam) is required.
- Exam results are valid for 2 years after the test date. Applicants will be assessed on the basis of their most recent English Language Proficiency results.
- ESL Placement Exams are intended for students entering a NAIT ESL program. They cannot be used to prove English Language Proficiency when applying to most NAIT programs.
- If your ESL Placement Exam is your most recent ELP assessment, it may still impact your application to other NAIT programs.
- If you already meet the ELP requirements for your program, please speak to an advisor before taking an ESL Placement Exam at NAIT.
- Accepted exams and scores vary by program. Find your program under the tabs below to see what tests are accepted and what scores are required.
- When you register for an ELP exam, please select to have your exam results sent electronically to NAIT – therefore NAIT can promptly process your exam results without courier delays.
- Students whose ELP is just below the ELP requirement for NAIT's credit programs may qualify for the ESL admissions pathway.
Learn more about the ESL admissions pathway
Learn more about NAIT's English Language Proficiency test
Additional English Tests during COVID-19
As we continue to navigate the pandemic, we recognize the need to provide applicants an alternate way to provide proof of English Language Proficiency. During this time, NAIT continues to offer the NAIT English Language Proficiency Exam online. For some programs, we will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test, the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition Test, or the CAEL Online Test to meet English Language Proficiency Requirements for the 2022-2023 academic year.* Applicants must request their results be sent directly to NAIT.
Please find your program in the tabs above to view which tests are accepted, including any additional tests. *Not all additional English tests can be used to satisfy ELP requirements for all programs.
We recognize our need to review and adjust our response as the pandemic evolves. Accepting these tests for future intakes is under review. To stay informed of NAIT’s response to COVID-19 please visit nait.ca/covid19.