ELP Exams and other assessments
For applicants without 3 years of consecutive, full-time academic study in English, a formal assessment (such as an ELP exam) is required.
- Exam results are valid for 2 years after the test date. Applicants will be assessed on the basis of their most recent English Language Proficiency results.
- ESL Placement Exams are intended for students entering a NAIT ESL program. They cannot be used to prove English Language Proficiency when applying to most NAIT programs.
- If your ESL Placement Exam is your most recent ELP assessment, it may still impact your application to other NAIT programs.
- If you already meet the ELP requirements for your program, please speak to an advisor before taking an ESL Placement Exam at NAIT.
- Accepted exams and scores vary by program. Find your program under the tabs below to see what tests are accepted and what scores are required.
Learn more about NAIT's English Language Proficiency test
Additional English Tests During COVID-19
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, resulting in closures of schools and English Language Testing Centres, we recognize the need to provide applicants an alternate way to provide proof of English Language Proficiency. During this time, NAIT continues to offer the NAIT English Language Proficiency Exam online. We will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test, the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition Test, or the CAEL Online Test to meet English Language Proficiency Requirements for the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years. Accepting these tests for future intakes is under review. Applicants must request their results be sent directly to NAIT.
Acceptable Minimum Duolingo English Test score required for Business Administration with Provisional Admission: 100
Acceptable Minimum Duolingo English Test score required for all other NAIT programs: 115
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and CAEL Online test scores vary by program, and require the same score as the TOEFL IBT or CAEL test scores below.
We recognize our need to review and adjust our response as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve. To stay informed of NAIT’s response to COVID-19 please visit nait.ca/coronavirus.